(Yellowknife, October 15, 2021) On direction of the Chief Public Health Officer, eligibility for booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine is being expanded to additional age groups. The following groups are eligible:
- Starting Oct 15th, the Yellowknife vaccine clinic will begin offering booster doses to those age 60 or older
- Beginning next week, residents in all other NWT communities will be eligible for boosters in the following categories
- Yellowknife, N’Dilo, Dettah, Hay River, Inuvik, and Fort Smith: residents aged 60 or older
- All other NWT communities: residents who are aged 50 and older
- For all booster doses; booked appointments are preferred, in Yellowknife you can book online, in all other communities contact your health centre.
These booster doses are being offered on a voluntary basis, after a minimum of six (6) months following a resident’s second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. Pleases note booster doses and 3rd doses are different. A booster contains less vaccine product than a 3rd full dose. If you are immune-compromised you may be eligible for a 3rd dose instead of a booster so please tell your healthcare provider at your immunization appointment.
First and second dose COVID-19 vaccinations are still available for all eligible persons through local health centres or public health offices. Those who are fully immunized (2 doses) still have strong protection against COVID-19, including the Delta variant.
Starting October 21st, flu vaccinations will be available in Yellowknife, and will be offered at the Centre Square Mall clinic in the same location as COVID-19 immunizations rather than the Multiplex. You do not need to book multiple appointments for COVID and flu vaccinations, as you can receive both in one appointment. Please indicate at the screening desk during your appointment which vaccine(s) you are requesting when you arrive. Details for flu vaccination clinics in other communities will be announced in the coming week.
For Yellowknife, online booking is encouraged, however if you are unable to book online limited walk-ins are accepted between the hours of 11:00am and 2:00pm. For all other communities contact your local health centre or public health unit for vaccine appointments. We ask that all residents follow the public health guidelines regarding masking and socially distancing while attending your appointment.
Previous notices regarding 3rd dose and booster dose eligibility criteria:
- Third Dose Vaccinations for Specified Frontline Workers and immunocompromised Individuals
- Third Doses to be offered to residents 75 and Over in Yellowknife, N’dilo, Dettah, and Behchoko.