YELLOWKNIFE (August 17, 2021) - Testing capacity is being triaged to ensure it is best used to manage the current COVID-19 outbreak, limit spread, and ensure individuals are released from isolation. At this time testing is being offered to the following groups:
- Following out-of-Territory travel, Day 1 & 14 testing for anyone going to a small community;
- Following out-of-Territory travel, Day 1 & 14 testing for essential workers in Hay River, Inuvik, Yellowknife, Norman Wells and Fort Simpson;
- Release from isolation testing for anyone who is partly immunized or un-immunized after returning from out-of-Territory travel;
- Testing for essential workers who need exemptions due to their immunization status, or due to household isolation;
- Individuals who have been directed to be tested by the OCPHO or Public Health staff;
- Individuals who are symptomatic.
Asymptomatic testing will not be performed unless it falls into the first 5 categories. If an employer mandates testing for individuals who do not meet this criteria, or if you show up for asymptomatic testing and do not fit this criteria, you may be turned away. Please do not present to the Emergency Department for testing; only present to the Emergency Department if you have an urgent medical need.
In Yellowknife testing can be booked online, in all other communities please contact your health centre or the designated contact listed at www.nthssa.ca/covid-testing. Please book testing in advance of showing up at the testing site.
If you believe you have been a contact of a COVID-19 case you should follow the guidance in the Public Exposure Notifications specific to your vaccination status. You do not need to be tested unless you fit into the criteria above. Anyone with symptoms should self-isolate and arrange for testing at the soonest opportunity.