(YELLOWKNIFE, October, 14, 2022) The Northwest Territories health and social services system is currently offering vaccination clinics in communities throughout the NWT with a focus on seasonal influenza vaccine, COVID-19 boosters, and offering monkeypox vaccine to specific audiences.
Residents can reach out to their local health center for information on vaccines and clinic dates or appointment booking processes in their communities. Residents of Yellowknife are encouraged to book online, with walk-ins accepted as capacity allows.
The following updates are being provided:
Access to COVID-19 booster doses are currently available territory-wide, and today the Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority is announcing the widening of access to bivalent omicron-containing vaccines for the following groups:
- All individuals over 50 years of age
- All individuals aged 12-49 who have high-risk medical conditions. Individuals with underlying medical conditions that place them at high risk of severe COVID-19 may include those with:
- cardiac or pulmonary disorders
- uncontrolled diabetes from other metabolic diseases
- renal disease
- anemia or hemoglobinopathy
- neurologic or neurodevelopmental conditions
- Class 3 obesity (BMI of 40 and over)
Those in Group 1 – which was eligible as of October 1st, remain eligible, which includes anyone:
- 65 years of age and older
- Residents of long-term care facilities
- 5-64 years of age, high risk and severely immunocompromised
Influenza vaccines are available and can be received alongside a COVID-19 booster. For the latest details on influenza vaccine clinics in your community visit www.nthssa.ca/flu, not all community dates are finalized but as clinics are planned they will be added at this link. Please check back or contact your local health centre for details about clinics or appointments in your community.
Imvamune® is a vaccination that has been approved by Health Canada for immunization against smallpox, monkeypox, and other ortho-pox related diseases in adults 18 years of age and older. This vaccine contains modified virus and cannot make you sick. Monkeypox vaccine helps your immune system create antibodies that fight monkeypox infection and disease.
For booking criteria and for information on how to book appointments visit https://www.hss.gov.nt.ca/en/services/monkeypox.
Upcoming Vaccine Clinic Opportunities:
In Yellowknife, on Friday October 14th from Noon to 3pm there will be space reserved at the Yellowknife Vaccination clinic for senior’s walk-ins for COVID-19 and Flu Vaccine.