Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Updates

Screening, Self-Monitoring and Self-Isolation

What do I do if I am experiencing COVID symptoms?

If you are experiencing milder symptoms such as fever, cough or flu-like, but are well enough to stay home, please self-isolate and call:

  • Yellowknife: 867-767-9120
  • Inuvik: 867-490 –2225 or 867-777-7246
  • Fort Smith: 867-621-2233 or 867-872-0562
  • Hay River: 867-874-8400
  • Other Communities can call their local health centres,

Please review the Self-Isolation Information for information about how to self-isolate.

If your symptoms are severe (i.e. shortness of breath) call 9-1-1.

If you are experiencing severe symptoms such as shortness of breath or a worsening condition and feel that you need immediate medical care, call 9-1-1, and call ahead to your health centre or hospital facility to let them know you are coming to the facility. Please describe your symptoms over the phone before your appointment so the clinic can arrange to see you without exposing others. Let them know if you have travelled or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days


What do I do if I don’t have symptoms but have traveled outside of the NWT?

Anyone arriving in the NWT must self-isolate and stay at home for 14 days in Yellowknife, Inuvik, Hay River or Fort Smith only. You will not be allowed to self-isolate in a small community or other regional centre other than the four listed communities if they have returned from outside the NWT.

You will need to:

  • Complete the approved self-isolation plan
  • Monitor your health for fever, cough or difficulty breathing.
  • Follow healthy respiratory practices
  • Complete the online self-assessment to determine whether you should be arranging for a test if you begin feeling sick. If you need to be tested, contact the appropriate medical centre by phone and they will give you further instructions. Do not go in without speaking to them by phone first.

If you do develop symptoms within 14 days continue to isolate yourself from others, call your health care provider and inform them about symptoms and travel history. They will provide advice on what you should do.

You can contact a health care provider as follows:

  • Yellowknife: 867-767-9120
  • Inuvik: 867-490 –2225
  • Fort Smith: 867-872-6219 or 867-872-6221
  • Hay River: 867-874-8400: Call Public Health at (867) 874-8400 between 08:30 to 16:30. After hours, please contact our Emergency Department at (867) 874-8050
  • Other Communities can call their local health centres,

If your symptoms become severe call 9-1-1.