The Cancer Navigation Program is a program available across the NWT that is designed to help cancer patients navigate their cancer journey. In this program, patients with cancer and their support network are paired with navigators. Cancer care can be complicated and frightening, often requiring multiple trips for appointments, tests, and treatments. Navigating the care system will often involve working with multiple health care providers, including but not limited to doctors, nurses, dieticians, psychologists, social workers, physiotherapists, and potentially surgeons. The Cancer Nurse Navigators are Registered Nurses who work closely with a person diagnosed with cancer, their health care team, and their families, in order to offer assistance and direction through their cancer journey.
A Cancer Nurse Navigator will act as your guide through the cancer care system and can be your primary contact to answer questions and coordinate care between all members of your healthcare team. They will partner with you to help develop an understanding of your health care options, prepare for appointments, tests, and treatments, and help connect you with valuable community resources to meet your emotional, psychological, and spiritual needs. The Cancer Nurse Navigators are present for clients in the following ways:
- Holistically guide patients through the health care system
- Expediting access to services and resources
- Improving continuity and coordination of care
- Educating and assisting with making informed decisions
- Connecting with resources to ensure patients and their networks are feeling supported.
Who is Eligible for this service?
The Navigation Program is for any patients and their support network that are impacted by cancer, who reside in the NWT. This includes patients and their supports across the cancer continuum, including but not limited to:
- Persons who have questions about testing and screening for cancer
- Persons with a confirmed or potential diagnosis of cancer
- Persons undergoing treatment for cancer
- Persons in rehabilitation from cancer
- Cancer survivor still requiring assistance related to ongoing side-effects
- Persons with cancer receiving palliative care
- Friends, family, loved ones, and support networks who need assistance in their own lives
What does the Navigation team do?
The Cancer Navigation Team includes the skills and expertise of two experienced Registered Nurses who will be available to people in all stages of their cancer journey, through diagnosis, treatment and survivorship. The Navigators will work with the following objectives:
- Guide cancer patients through the health care system
- Expedite patients’ access to services and resources
- Improve continuity and coordination of care
If you are a person living with cancer you can ask your health care provider to connect you with the Navigation Team or you can contact the Nurse Navigator yourself. You do not need a referral.
You can contact the Navigation Team directly at