July 24th is International Self-care Day. This is a day where we encourage the practice of focusing on doing the things that help your mental, physical and spiritual health. When you take care of yourself, you are better able to take care of those around you. Self-care can look different for everyone, take some time to figure out what works for you.
Here are some examples on what you can do to take care of yourself:
- Exercise daily. Finding a physical activity or going for a 30 minute walk is a great way to help you feel good mentally and physically.
- Stay hydrated and having a healthy diet. Making sure you’re drinking enough water and eating balanced meals will help keep your energy up throughout the day.
- Have a regular sleep schedule. Giving yourself time to rest and recharge by getting enough sleep. Try to avoid using your phone or computer during bedtime as the blue light from devices can make it difficult to fall asleep.
- Try a new relaxing activity. Simple breathing exercises, guided meditations or journaling are activities you can try to reflect and relax. Try a relaxation or wellness app or program and add these activities to your regular schedule.
- Surround yourself with loved ones. Reach out to family or friends that you feel comfortable with for emotional support or practical advice.
- Practice gratitude. Take a moment to reflect on the positive things in your life that you’re grateful for. Try making a list or writing them in a journal.
Wellness Together Canada provides a variety of flexible eMental Health resources that are available free, 24/7. Visit their website today to see what work best for you. www.wellnesstogether.ca/en-CA/self-care/