Yellowknife (November 29, 2018) – The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority (NTHSSA) has signed a contract for the operation of the Trailcross Youth Treatment Centre which provides treatment and therapy for NWT youth experiencing social, emotional, and behavioural issues. The facility, located in Fort Smith, will be operated by SHIFT (formerly known as Atlantic Youth).
SHIFT provides youth programming that includes meaningful experiential
programming delivered from a lens of trauma informed practice. They will provide counselling as well as cultural and on the land programming that integrates traditional knowledge. SHIFT currently operates group homes in Nunavut and provides workshops and training across Canada.
Trailcross is the only residential youth treatment facility in the Northwest Territories and securing a contract for the operation of this important service helps ensure quality care and services are available for NWT youth.
“Trailcross provides an important service for NWT youth and securing an operator for this facility was a high priority for the NTHSSA. We look forward to working with SHIFT and partnering to provide quality care, services, and programming to youth from across the NWT.”
- Sue Cullen, CEO of the Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority
- Trailcross is a specialized 8 bed residential treatment program for youth (12 – 18) from the NWT experiencing social, emotional and behavioural issues.
- The contract with SHIFT began November 1, 2018. The contractor will spend November and December making facility improvements, training staff, and getting familiar with the community. Intake of youth is expected to begin in January, 2019.
- There are no current youth in the Trailcross facility so we do not expect immediate impact on patients/clients. If any youth need access to these types of services during the period SHIFT is setting up their program, they will be accommodated.
- The contract duration is 3 years with the option of a 2 year renewal.
- Total funds budgeted for the operation of Trailcross is $1.43 million annually.
- The awarding of the contract was completed through a competitive RFP process.
Corporate and Support Services
Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority
Government of the Northwest Territories
P.O. Box 1320, Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9
Phone: 867-767-9107, ext 40150