YELLOWKNIFE (February 28, 2017) – In an effort provide choices and make services easier to access Stanton Territorial Hospital has introduced a self-referral option for people who want to access Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy programs.
Before this option was introduced individuals who wanted to access these services required a referral from their physician or a nurse practitioner. This required additional time to book an appointment to receive that referral, with this change that additional appointment may be unnecessary and allow for quicker access to services.
As we work to improve our health and social services system the NTHSSA continues to make small changes that contribute to better care and services. As we introduce these changes we will be measuring their impact and sharing these lessons within our system so similar improvements can be made throughout.
“Our physiotherapy and occupational therapy teams at Stanton do great work taking care of patients each day. Providing new options to access care helps reduce barriers and improves the way we care for and serve NWT residents.”
- Sue Cullen, CEO of the Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority
- Self-referral means that patients are able to have direct access to physiotherapy and occupational therapy without having to see another doctor or healthcare provider first.
- The main benefit of self-referral is removing one of the wait times for the patient. Instead of waiting to see the doctor and then again waiting to see the rehab therapist, they only need to wait to see the rehab therapist.
- By allowing patients to self-refer it can decrease the number of appointments at primary care clinics as patients may not need to go to these clinics to receive a referral.
- Self-referral is already available in Hay River and Inuvik and will be implemented in Fort Smith in the future.
- Stanton’s rehabilitation teams currently average 872 physiotherapy appointments and, 390 occupational therapy appointments monthly.
- Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy teams at Stanton service Yellowknife, Fort Simpson, Behchokǫ̀, Whatì , Lutselk’e, Fort Providence and 5 Kitikmeot communities in Nunavut.
- Stanton OT/PT Self-Referral Q&A
Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority
TEL: 867-767-9107 ext. 40150