YELLOWKNIFE (April 12, 2017) – Today, Sue Cullen, Chief Executive Officer of the Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority announced that some chemotherapy services will resume at Stanton Territorial Hospital starting the week of April 16, 2018.
Some patients receiving basic chemotherapy services will begin to receive treatment at Stanton the week of April 16, 2018. This will be the first phase of resumed services that will allow certain patients undergoing cancer treatment to receive chemotherapy services in Yellowknife, closer to home and with reduced requirements for medical travel to Alberta.
The NTHSSA suspended chemotherapy services at Stanton Territorial Hospital in December of 2017 after CancerControl Alberta was invited to review the cancer services delivered at Stanton. During the program suspension Stanton has been focused on making program improvements and upgrading staff training to ensure we can deliver a chemotherapy program that is aligned with our partners in Alberta and recent best practices.
Cancer patients or their families who are currently receiving services at Stanton can direct questions to the Stanton Cancer Coordinator at 867-669-4310.
“Suspending chemotherapy services at Stanton was not a decision we took lightly, but it was necessary to give space and time to ensure we could make program improvements. Our staff has worked very hard to make the changes required and we are confident that we can provide high-quality care to NWT residents undergoing chemotherapy treatment.”
- Sue Cullen, CEO of the Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority.
- Repatriation of chemotherapy services will be phased with basic chemotherapy services to begin on April 16, 2018.
- Some patients will continue to travel to Alberta for part, or all, of their cancer treatment. This was the case before the chemotherapy program suspension. There are some services that are not provided in the NWT and new services are not being added at this time.
- Chemotherapy services have been delivered at Stanton Territorial Hospital since November, 1991.
- The suspension of services began on December 8, 2017.
- Alberta Health Services is the primary referral partner for health services not currently available in the Northwest Territories including access to cancer care consultation services and, as appropriate, treatment services. NWT residents are regularly treated for cancer in Alberta.
- Stanton Chemotherapy Update Q&A – April 16, 2018
Manager, Communications Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority
TEL: 867-767-9107 ext. 40150