The Yellowknife Tobacco Cessation clinic offers free and private services at the Yellowknife Primary Care Clinic or through virtual care. If you are trying to quit tobacco, call (867) 920-7777 or (867)767-9125 and ask for an appointment at the Tobacco Cessation clinic.
- One-on-one care with a Registered Nurse or Nurse Practitioner
- Nicotine Replacement Therapy Prescriptions (patch, gum, losenges, etc.)
- Smoking Cessation medication prescriptions (Varenicline, buproprion)
- Follow-up as needed
Who can access this service?
Any individual in Yellowknife, Ndilo, or Dettah who is thinking about quitting tobacco, in the process of quitting, or who is struggling to remain tobacco-free can access this service for free.
How Can I book an Appointment?
To book an appointment, call one of the primary care clinics in Yellowknife (YPCC or Frame Lake).
- Yellowknife Primary Care Center (YPCC): 867-920-7777
- Frame Lake Community Health Clinic: 867-767-9125
Hours of Operation:
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday from 1:30-4:30pm
- Tuesday from 4:30-7:30pm
- Location: Yellowknife Primary Care Centre, YK Centre East, 4915-48th Street
What to Expect:
Quitting nicotine is one of the hardest things you can do and sometimes you need support. Getting help from a health care professional can improve your chance of quitting for good. A health care professional can help you on your journey to a smoke free life by:
- Prescribing Nicotine Replacement Therapies and medications to help reduce your cravings
- Providing the latest evidence-based strategies to help you quit tobacco
- Monitoring your progress with a carbon monoxide breath test
- Providing you with helpful resources to keep you motivated and on track
The NWT has one of the highest rates of smoking in Canada where 1 in 3 people use tobacco. This clinic is a pilot project that will closely be monitored and evaluated to determine if this service is a need in Yellowknife and other locations in the NWT.
For more information on quitting tobacco, please visit www.gov.nt.ca/tobacco