School-Based Oral Health Program
The NTHSSA Community Oral Health program has a school-based Oral Health Program in Fort Smith, Fort Simpson, Inuvik, Fort McPherson and Norman Wells. Each of these communities has either a Dental Hygienists or Dental Therapists located in the community, and these hygienists and therapists also travel to the surrounding communities in their regions to provide services.
The program supports schools to deliver preventative oral health care to schools. Services include:
- Oral health education as part of the NWT health education curriculum
- The NWT School Daily Brushing Program
- Fluoride Varnish Application
- Hosting oral health professional appointments including:
- Complete oral examinations
- Specialized oral health preventive and therapeutic treatments
- Oral health education
- Referral to a dentist
Who can Access the School-Based Oral Health Program?
All children attending school in NWT Communities.
How can my child get an appointment with the School-Based Oral Health Program?
Dental Hygienists and Dental Therapists will visit your child’s school to educate children on oral health and provide treatment. For your child to be part of this program and receive treatment, you must fill out the consent form below.
What to Bring
Signed consent form.