If you are experiencing a crisis, do not hesitate to seek help! All of these crisis lines are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and many of them also have chat and texting options available.
If you are 25 years old or younger and need someone to talk to, the Kid’s Help Phone is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Texting and online chat options are also available 24/7.
- To talk with a counsellor, call the Kids Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868
- To text with a counsellor, text the word TALK to 686868.
- To live chat, visit https://kidshelpphone.ca/live-chat/ and click the “chat” button OR download the Always There app. This chat function is available from 6:00PM – midnight.
For more information, click here to visit their website.
If you need support, the NWT Help Line offers free support to residents of the Northwest Territories, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is 100% free and confidential. The NWT Help Line also has an option for follow-up calls.
- To talk to a trained responder, call the NWT Helpline at 1-800-661-0844.
Trained responders can help you with any number of concerns, including:
- stress management;
- suicidal thoughts;
- sexual assault; and
- depression and anxiety.
NWT residents can also visit the NWT Help Line Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/NWTHelpLine/ for wellness information, tips, and community events
If you are experiencing abuse or violence at home and need help, contact the Alison McAteer House Crisis Line. This Crisis Line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and can help if you need a safe place to stay, and Emergency Protection Order, or someone to talk.
- If you need help, call the crisis line at 1-866-223-7775, and they will help keep you safe or provide you with the support you need.
For more information about the service and supports offered by the Alison McAteer house, visit their website at https://www.ywcanwt.ca/family-violence-shelters
The Hope for Wellness Help Line offers immediate mental health counselling and crisis intervention to all Indigenous peoples across Canada.
- To talk to a counsellor, call the toll-free Help Line at 1-855-242-3310, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- To live chat, visit https://www.hopeforwellness.ca/ to connect with a counsellor
Experienced and culturally competent Help Line counsellors can help if you:
- want to talk
- are distressed
- have strong emotional reactions
- are triggered by painful memories
Phone and chat counselling is available in English and French, and on request, phone counselling is also available is Cree, Ojibway and Inuktut.