Rehabilitation Services

Occupational Therapy

NOTICE: All rehabilitation services in Yellowknife have moved to the Łıwegǫ̀atì Building on 550 Byrne Rd. 

Occupational Therapists are therapists that help to solve problems that are interfering with an individual’s ability to do daily activities or occupations that are important to them.  These problems may be the result of an injury, disease, developmental delays, congenital disabilities, or environment.  

An Occupational Therapist will look at things like a person’s physical abilities, mental abilities, the materials or devises they use in your daily life, and the physical set up of their house, classroom, or workplace.  Looking at these things will allow the OT to determine what is interfering with their ability to complete their daily activities, and determine how to solve it or work around it. 

Some the things our Occupational Therapists can help with include:

  • Helping patients to overcome the disabilities or the problems that are interfering with their daily activities, play, or occupation.
  • Working with patients to figure out different ways to accomplish daily activities (household chores, hobbies, or work activities).
  • Recommending changes to the environment where the patient does everyday activities (eg: work, home school).
  • Teaching patients how to use adaptive equipment that can help them to overcome barriers.
  • Helping a patient to develop their memory, attention, or organization.

How can I get an appointment with an Occupational Therapist?

Are you struggling with daily activities or to complete tasks for your occupation? You can now self-refer to this program, which means you can sign yourself up without needing a referral from a doctor or nurse practitioner. Contact your local health centre, clinic, or hospital for more information, or self-refer yourself to the program.

Contact this Service

Our Occupational Therapy Services are offered across the NWT.  If you are located in a smaller community you may have to be seen by a visiting Occupational Therapist, or travel to a larger centre for service.  Talk to your local health centre for more information.


Please send your completed self-referral form to, or drop your form off at your local hospital or health centre (Fort Smith, Hay River, Beaufort Delta, and Sahtu Region).